Michael Leo Long was a native of Scariff parish born on 10th April 1929. He studied in St. Flannan’s College from 1941 to 1946. He undertook studies for the priesthood in St. Patrick’s College, Carlow from 1946 to 1952. He was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Joseph Rodgers in St. Flannan’s College, Ennis on the 8th of June 1952 along with his brother Fr. Jackie (John) Long. Fr Leo was
ordained for the Archdiocese of Melbourne, Australia.
From 1952 until 1967 he served as assistant priest in the parishes of Newport, Gordon, North Dandenong and South Melbourne.
In 1967 he was appointed parish priest of the parish of St. Peter Julian Eymard, Mooroolbark. In 1972 he became parish priest of the parish of St. Fidelis, Moreland. In 1982 he was appointed parish priest of St. Kevin’s Ormond.
He returned to the Diocese of Killaloe in 1991. He served in Killaloe parish from 1991 to 1992. In Kilmurry McMahon parish from 1992 to 2000. In the Silvermines and Templederry parishes from 2000 to 2004. In 2004 he was appointed administrator of Templederry parish. In 2006 he became assistant priest in Templederry. He retired to Nenagh in 2017. He spent his final months in Carrigoran nursing home, Newmarket on Fergus.
He died on the 19th October 2022. May He Rest in Peace.
Reposing in the Church of the Sacred Heart, Scariff on Friday Oct 21st from 6-8pm with prayers at 8pm. Funeral Mass on Saturday
October 22nd at 3pm followed by burial in the church grounds.